Celebrating Life Since 1863
Springfield’s magnificent Ferncliff Cemetery began in 1863 when 70 acres were purchased with $300 from each of the founding members of the Cemetery. Subsequently a charter was secured from the State of Ohio. Ferncliff Cemetery was incorporated as a nonprofit organization, and the Ferncliff Cemetery Association was established.
The association consists of 25 members, men and women, who must be lot owners. The association members elect any new member to fill a vacancy and also elect nine of their fellow members as trustees to perform Cemetery governance.
Asa Smith Bushnell
1834 – 1904
40th Governor of Ohio
Harry C. Chakeres
Founder of Chakeres Theatres
1940 – 2004
Owned Rick’s Fashions Americain – specialized in renting costumes plays, TV, and movies, including Seabiscuit, Forrest Gump, and Goodfellas.
John S. Crowell
1850 – 1921
One of the founders of Crowell-Collier Publishing – published The Woman’s Home Companion from 1873 until 1957.
George W. Clemens
First burial in Ferncliff Cemetery.
Died of spotted fever.
Oliver Smith Kelly
1824 – 1904
Section A, overlooking Kelly Lake
Local business leader, founder of O.S. Kelly Piano Plate Co. and mayor of Springfield.
George & Sarah Gammon
George 1803 – 1904
Sarah 1808 – 1902
Activist in the Underground Railroad – owners of the Gammon House – a noted safehouse.
Gary Adam Geis
1943 – 2016
Dance teacher and founder of the Gary Geis School of Dance and Company.
Ralph W. Hollenbeck
1880 – 1938
Insurance broker and co-founder and 1st president of Credit Life Insurance Co. Charter member of the Springfield Rotary Club and Springfield Chamber of Commerce. Prominent leader in the YMCA and Boy Scout movement.
General J. Warren Keifer
1836 – 1932
Brigadier General in the Civil War. U.S. Congressman 1905-1911
1812 – 1848
Pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. One of the principal founders and 1st president of Wittenberg College.
1816 – 1882
Activist in the Underground Railroad
1895 – 1989
Owner of Kincaid’s Music Store. Pioneer radio entertainer.
1923 – 2010
Community leader and philanthropist.
1925 – 2000
Professional baseball player with the St. Louis Cardinals and Cincinnati Reds.
1932 – 1995
1933 – 1963
World Featherweight Boxing Champion from 1957 – 1963. 1952 Olympian. Died from a championship bout in 1963.
Dr. Frederick F. Mueller
Founder of the Clark County Board of Mental Retardation and the Town & Country Day School in 1952.
1904 – 1994
In the shoe shine business from the age of 14, he moved into the landmark red boot-shaped shop in 1952, and continued his life’s work until 1994. A founding member of the Greek Orthodox Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
James R. Schlesinger
1929 – 2014
Section E, Snyder lot
Economist and public servant. Served as Secretary of Defense and the nation’s first Secretary of Energy.
1783 – 1869
Section E, Snyder lot
Miller, Distiller, and Real Estate Holder. Donated 217 acres of land along Buck Creek, now known as Snyder Park.
Eliza Daniels “Mother” Stewart
1816 – 1908
One of the founders of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union (WCTU), and a great crusader in the Prohibition movement, she lead the “Women’s Whiskey War”.
Harry A. Toulmin
1855 – 1942
Nationally renowned patent attorney who oversaw the patents for the Wright brothers.
Harry Morris Turner
1904 – 2000
Cofounder of the Cincinnati Insurance Co. Philanthropist and founder of the Turner Charitable Foundation, major supporter of area non-profits, including the Springfield Arts Council.
James Richard Ward
1921 – 1941
First Clark County man to die in WW II. He was trapped below decks of the USS Oklahoma, after rescuing 18 fellow crewmen, in the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Dec. 7, 1941. Though buried at sea, he is memorialized on the WW II Mound.
Jeremiah & Ann Aston Warder
Jeremiah 1780 – 1849
Ann Aston 1781 – 1871
Jeremiah was an owner of Warder, Mitchell & Co, manufacturers of the Champion Reaper. Through merger, this became International Harvester (IH). Ann was an early leader in the Underground Railroad. Together, they donated land to establish a free library, the Warder Public Library.